Almost everything we do on the web will work better with autonomous blockchain technologies such as Bitcoin & ethereum because they allow systems to be built with unbreakable rules. Unlike Facebook, Twitter, Airbnb, Uber, PayPal or eBay, no executive authority can step in and say the rules don't apply to you.
Of all the blockchain technologies, Bitcoin is currently the most high profile. It is a massive area of growth in the startup eco-system.
Drupal 8 is going to be a fantastic platform for building startups, but we need to make sure that it is also a fantastic platform for blockchain startups.
I've started by creating a Drupal 7 & 8 project called Coin Tools. It provides various components that would be useful for building a Bitcoin web product. Many of the altcoins are very similar to Bitcoin so the project could easily be extended to accommodate them.
Coin Tools base module
Contains the following field types:
Coin Tools Daemon
- facilitates configuration and access to bitcoind service
- triggers a hook when a Bitcoin transaction is detected
- provides a full UI for browsing transactions and sending and receiving bitcoin
I am currently working on a full implementation of BIP 70 which provides a much improved payment experience for the customer. Then I will add integration with Payment / Commerce. This means it will be possible to receive payments in Commerce without using a third party payment processor.
Coins Tools Fiat
- obtains bitcoin exchange rates from BitcoinAverage (which I consider to be the gold standard), falling back to BitPay BBB
- facilitates rendering of fiat amounts
- user can select preferred fiat currency
- current bitcoin value block
If you would like help developing your Bitcoin startup on Drupal, please get in touch.